Peaceful Presence Program
INTRODUCTION AND HISTORY
In 2008, our Twin Cities Ignatian Associate (IA) community held a prayer for peace event during the time of the Republican National Convention, which convened in St. Paul, Minnesota.
This year, the Ignatian Associates Ramos Community in Milwaukee, Wisconsin decided to hold a non-partisan, virtual prayer for peace event during both the Democratic and Republican conventions.
The event, called Peaceful Presence will be held virtually from August 17 – 27 during the Democratic and Republican conventions.
While, initially, the program was meant to be held in a church near the convention venue, the planning committee has decided to present a completely virtual Peaceful Presence Program.
Each day of the conventions, the program will include a prayer, quiet music for meditation, and a 10 minute reflection on peace given by a local religious leader. The reflection will focus on Peace and prayer for our world leaders, especially the leaders of our country.
We are pleased to co-sponsor this virtual program with Casa Romero Renewal Center; the Center for Peacemaking at Marquette University; the Milwaukee Inner-city Congregations Allied for Hope (MICAH); and the Interfaith Conference of Greater Milwaukee.
SCHEDULE & SPEAKERS.
We are delighted to join together with several religious leaders from within the Milwaukee area to reflect on peace. We hope to share dialogue from leaders of the Sikh, Zen Buddhist, Muslim, Roman Catholic, Baptist, Lutheran, Methodist, Unitarian Universalist, Hindu, Jewish, and Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints communities.
Speakers from Interfaith Conference:
- Reverend Reirin Alheidis Gumbel, Zen Buddhist Society
- Ms Cherrie Hanson, Program Director, Interfaith Conference of Greater Milwaukee
- Rev. Ellen Rasmussen, Pastor Brown Deer United Methodist Church
- Pardeep Singh Kaleka, Executive Director, Interfaith Conference of Greater Milwaukee
- Ken Elbert, President, Milwaukee North Stake, Church of Jesus Christ of Lateer-day Saints
- Janan Najeeb, President, Milwaukee Muslim Women's Coalition
- Mr Sarvesh Geddam, Board Member, Hindu Temple of Wisconsin
- Rev. Suzelle Lynch, Minister, Unitarian Universalist Church West
- Rabbi Noah Chertkoff, Congregation Shalom